The Center for African Area Studies (CAAS) is currently accepting applications for its tenth African Studies Publication Program, one of the book publication opportunities available this year to Kyoto University’s early-career researchers under the 2019-2020 President’s discretionary spending program.
The African Studies Publication Program subsidizes the publication of Africa -related works by qualified researchers affiliated with any department within the University.
Through this Program, CAAS hopes to consolidate resources and stimulate work on related topics, as well as to widely publicize the University’s strong focus on African studies.
All interested are encouraged to submit applications as follows.
Please download English Guideline
Eligibility and other terms and conditions
1. Applicants must be Kyoto University students, faculty, or alumni with a doctorate earned by 2 September 2019 from the University in research related to Africa (the work may cover other regions for comparison purposes)
2. In addition to works by doctorate holders, master’s dissertations of exceptional quality may be considered for publication
3. Applicants must be under age 40 at the time of application and NOT have a professorship. Any gender or nationality is acceptable
4. Up to 1,500,000 yen may be provided for each publication (up to two works may be accepted)
5. The work must be publishable by 31 March 2020 in Japanese, English, or French. The published volume will, in principle, be made commercially available
6. Accepted authors will be asked to deliver special lectures following publication
1. Three copies of the manuscript (such as a dissertation) to be considered for publication (any format)
2. Two copies of a publishing cost estimate prepared by a publisher
3. One copy each of the applicant’s CV and list of research achievements (any format)
Submissions will be evaluated by a selection committee comprised of CAAS faculty and external experts. Selection criteria include both scholarly contributions to the field and the potential benefit to relevant African communities.
2 September 2019 (Monday) (Delayed applications will not be accepted)
Center for African Area Studies (CAAS), Kyoto University Inamori Foundation Memorial Hall, Kyoto University 46 Yoshida-Shimoadachi, Sakyo, Kyoto 606-8501 Japan
Documents should be enclosed in an envelope with “African Studies Publication Program application documents enclosed” printed in red letters.
Center for African Area Studies (CAAS), Kyoto University